Saturday, 21 April 2012

Southwell City 1-2 Basford Utd (CMLS)

Saturday 21st April 2012 -- kick off 3:00pm

We had been meaning to visit the Centenary Sports Ground home of Southwell City all season, but never seemed to get around to it. After looking through the fixtures, I realised that this was the Minstermen's final game of the season and that we ought to at least consider it. FC 05 Bilsthorpe was supposed to be our original destination, but this game looked a little more promising than FC 05 v Welbeck Welfare. Turns out that that game was washed out anyway!

We got to Southwell in good time, but as soon as we hit the town centre, the traffic stopped.  So, with kick off time approaching we made a decision to go down to the Minster School to park up. We then took a short walk through a jitty and arrived at the venue just as the teams were entering the pitch. Apparently a St.George's day parade had caused the traffic hold-up, and half way through the second half, the park was invaded by hundreds of marching bands! This gave us cause for concern about getting out of the school car park at full time - but luckily we got to the car just before the marchers disbanded and headed to the school - where their buses were waiting to take them home! 
We skirted pitch 2 to get to the main event, but it has to be said that the Southwell St. Mary's game against Arnold Tn Ressies was far more entertaining. That game had a decent mass brawl and 6 goals, St. Mary's running out 5-1 victors.  Had a chat to St. Mary's Chairman,  Neil Oxborrow - we always enjoyed watching his goalkeeping son Mike when he played for Kimberley Town a couple of seasons ago.

As mentioned earlier, the main event wasn't really very good  - Basford were content to stroll about the pitch with little or no enthusiasm, while Southwell showed little to trouble their high flying visitors.

Basford opened the scoring in the 27th minute, a slow motion free-kick from DARREN GARMSTON that took so long to reach the net from just outside the box that Kev's fixed set of six sequence shots ended before the ball entered the net! The ball dropped over City keeper Nathan Burrows, who for some reason was a couple of yards off his line - maybe it was the presence of Cashell Walters just behind the defensive wall that made the keeper leave his line - maybe not...

The second goal for Basford came on 35 and was from their best move of the game. From wide right, Jarrod Westcarr picked out Wayne Jones in the area. The Basford no. 6 looked up and played the ball across the goal to where CARL WESTCARR was on hand to fire the ball into the roof of the net.  H-T 0-2

The second period really was a non-event - but Southwell  began to take charge mid-way through the half and caused one or two problems for the home defence.  Jarrod Westcarr did force Burrows into a save from a free-kick on 79, but Basford were now in cruise mode and when City pulled a goal back in the 86th minute through TOM TYLER, they had to step up a gear to try and hold on to their lead.  Courtney Hastings was a good outlet as Basford cleared their lines, but solid defending from Minstermen Robbie Mawer and Jamie Bennett saw off any late resurgence, and after three minutes of added time, Referee Mr. Townsend brought proceedings to a close. Quick exit for us and home before 5:30pm.  F-T 1-2

Admission - public park, but we did buy raffle tickets. ( No idea if we won or not, but not that bothered)!

Programme - never saw one

H/C - no chance of an accurate count - my reckoning was at least 50