Monday, 16 April 2012

Pinxton 3-4 Clipstone Welfare (CML Cup)

Monday 16th April 2012 -- kick off 7:45pm -- CML Cup 3rd Round.

This was a game that shouldn't have really been played. Pinxton had played an ineligible player in a previous round of the cup, but for some reason they weren't removed from the competition.  Newark were reinstated - Pinxton had defeated Newark 4-2 in March, but the winners of this game face them on Thursday in the 1/4 final.  Clear?  Good!

Saw Brian Dennett for a few seconds before the game, then he disappeared and we spent the game in the company of Richard Lane who was there to see who his Newark team will face, and Pinxton's injured midfield maestro Kieren DeBrouwer.

Three minutes in and we had a goal and a fight - but things soon settled down and both teams began to enjoy the occasion. The opening goal was scored by Clipstone's MIKE TAYLOR, the no. 9 taping home after a Gary Castledine free-kick had been knocked down some 8 yards from goal.

TAYLOR doubled the visitors' lead on 12, racing onto a through ball and beating Pinxton keeper Dave O'Hare at the second attempt.

Pinxton's Wayne Cooke was tripped in the box in the 19th minute, and GREG MARRIOTT stepped up to lash the spot kick past Clipstone stand in keeper Gary Briggs.  MARRIOTT levelled the scores after 37 minutes had been played - sliding in bravely at the far post to convert Cooke's excellent cross in from the right. H-T 2-2

The second half was just 6 minutes old when Pinxton took the lead.  A nothing ball was played to JAY COOPER 35 yards from goal, and the striker hit the sweetest left foot volley that flew over Briggs.  Special goal from a very, very good player.

The lead lasted until the 74th minute, when JAMES McCANN calmly lobbed O'Hare from 20 yards after he was given too much space to run in to.

We were dreading the extra-time that was apparently to be played in the event of a draw after 90 minutes.  Usually there is a replay in the League Cup, but as previously mentioned, this game was played according to different rules for some reason or other.

Anyway, we needn't have worried because Clipstone knicked it at the death, their big number 5 converting a McCann corner to send the Nottinghamshire outfit into the next round - a 1/4 final at Newark on Thursday.

Admission £2
No programme - sold out!
H/C 50 +