Wednesday, 3 August 2011

Carlton Town 2-0 Heanor Town

Wednesday 3rd August 2011  -- our 20th and final pre-season game saw Evo-Stik Div 1 Carlton entertain EMCL Heanor Town.

We arrived at the ground just as the teams were taking to the pitch. It had been a bit of a mad dash as I only realised at 6:50pm that the game kicked off at 7:30pm. Still - just made it in time and luckily not too much trouble for Kev to pick out a parking spot right near the entrance - that meant we were the first car out of the car park after the final whistle.

Starting line-ups
Millers : Marshall, Thornton, Fletcher, Goward, Kitchen, Darkin, Smith, Hall, Gill, Brown, Hawkridge. On the bench : Hollis, Large, Davies, Chaplin, Kimberley, MacDonald, Grayson N.
Lions : Frost, Stevenson, Littlewood, Gee-Pemberton, Peel, "Nico", Askham, Grayson A, Benger, Vernon (?), Wells. Bench: Cartwright, Moon + A.N. Other

The first half was goal-less, but Carlton had numerous chances to open the scoring - but some great defending and a couple of top class saves from Frost thwarted the home team.

Frost made another great save two minutes in from the restart, blocking a Nick Hall shot with his legs, but the stopper could do nothing about the goal that came two minutes later. A harsh free-kick was given against Brett Peel some 20 yards from goal - and ROB GILL curled the ball into the top corner. Frost made a gallant effort to reach the ball, but it was so well placed he did well to even get a hand to it.

On 63, GILL doubled the lead, side footing home from close range after Ian Brown had made his way to the goal line leaving defenders and keeper in his wake. Heanor never gave up, and applied decent pressure a the game went on - the Carlton defence stood firm though and it ended 2-0 to the home team. 

Great work out for both teams - Heanor looked far better in this game than in the two previous ones we have seen them play, whilst Carlton have a great squad and could be one to watch out for during the coming season........

Admission £5