Saturday, 7 April 2012

Linby CW 8-1 Vernon Villa (NSL Senior)

Saturday 7th April 2012 - kick off 3:02pm

Change of plan - we were due to go to Clifton v SNA, but family/personal commitments meant that we couldn't leave for a game until after 2:30pm.  Linby is a just 4 minute drive, so seemed a good option. With opponents Vernon Villa having already conceded 139 goals before kick off, a few goals looked a distinct possibility.  Linby are vying with Awsworth Villa for third place in the League - either Bulwell or F.C. Cavaliers are going to win the title.
The home team struggled to put two passes together from the start, but after they opened the scoring on 17, the game became much easier for them and it turned out to be a bit of stroll in the early April sunshine.  The opening goal came from MATT MURPHY, the no. 9 flicking home a Barry Payne right wing cross.

PAYNE doubled Linby's lead in the 24th minute, looping home a header after Damien Mann's superb ball in from the left picked him out 15 yards from goal.
Seconds later JONTY BRADSHAW volleyed home from 12 yards after the Villa defence failed to clear when they had the opportunity. H-T 3-0
Linby replaced Arron Ryan with Jonny B at half-time,  with Payne dropping into midfield. While they were re-organising, Villa scored - and a fine goal it was too. A ball in from the right was met with an acrobatic volley by no. 10 PAUL HARRISON, the ball placed perfectly past the diving grasp of  Scott Miles.

The three goal lead was restored 90 seconds later- MATT MURPHY again on target, slotting home from the corner of the box.  JONNY BERNARD added the home teams 5th in the 67th minute, latching onto a ball played out of defence before clipping the ball over the Villa keeper.

The visitors were reduced to 10 men on 74, their no. 16 appeared to throw a punch at Payne - an offence spotted by the eagle -eyed linesman.  Straight red, and no doubt in my mind that the official had got the decision spot on.
The last thing Villa needed was to go a man down - and BERNARD made them pay even further in the 78th minute, adding Linby's sixth after he was picked out in front of goal by Mann.  MATT MURPHY then blazed a 30 yarder into the roof of the net to complete his hat-trick and make it seven after 86. BERNARD completed his personal triple in stoppage time, firing past the keeper as he came out to try and block. F-T 8-1

Admission - my favourite £0
No programme
H/C 32