Wednesday, 9 May 2012

Arnold Tn Res 2-4 Carlton Tn Academy

Tuesday May 8th 2012 - kick off 7:30pm

Notts Senior League Junior final played at Arnold Town's Eagle Valley home.

Really was a case of Billy Chuffin No-Mates at this game....I didn't know anyone at all, and there was quite a good turn out for a Reserve League Cup final.  Usually some familiar faces, but not on this occasion.

Still, I enjoyed myself!  I parked in a lake and got whacked by the ball  in the small of the back by Carlton keeper Martin Apinitas, but hey ho....


Arnold - Sweeney, Brewster, Handley, Hopewell, Hastie, Meakin, Lees-Collier, Whitmore, Revuelta, Davis, Holmes.

Millers - Apinitas, B Shiggins, Pickance, Carter, Lynch, Hickey, PJ Shiggins, Blaze, Dimech, Needham, Wheelhouse.

The game kick off in bright sunshine, but as the evening went on the temperature dropped significantly - it's always cold at Eagle Valley, even in May!!
Had to wait until the 37th minute for the games first real chance - Simon Brewster's header forcing a diving save out of Martin Apinitas.

The opening goal came on 41, a free-kick into the box was headed at goal by LEWIS WHEELHOUSE, and the ball looped over the outstretched arms of James Sweeney in the Arnold goal. H-T 0-1

Apinitas did well to save Joe Meakins' 48th minute free-kick, but he couldn't keep out a LUKE WHITMORE penalty 10 minutes later, the spot kick awarded after a needless trip in the Carlton area.

On 67, it was WHITMOOR again on the mark, stabbing home from close range after a corner into the 6 yard box had caused all sorts of mayhem.

MARK DIMECH levelled things on 85, finding space on the left before racing into the area and firing past Sweeney into the far corner of the net. F-T 2-2

JAMES NEEDHAM curled a beauty past Sweeney from the corner of the box to give Carlton the lead in the 12th minute of extra-time, but the Millers' celebrations soon became muted when Tom Hickey lashed out at an Arnold player, leaving Referee Wayne Gray little option other than to send the midfielder off. H-T ET 2-3

With Arnold pressing for the equaliser that would have taken the game into penalties, the ball broke for NEEDHAM on the halfway line and he ran in on goal before coolly slotting past Sweeney. F-T ET 2-4

Time for Carlton to celebrate, but this was a good game, and Arnold played their part in keeping this old, lonely sod happy.

Admission £3 inc programme
Attendance - not too sure, but looked a decent turnout.