Tuesday, 1 May 2012

AFC Hucknall 2-4 Clifton FC (CMLS)

Tuesday 1st May 2012 ( really? - felt like January) -- CML South kick off 7:50pm

Some debate about going to this game - the weather cast a doubt over whether to bother or not. As well as driving rain, a fierce wind had been giving it large all day in our part of Nottinghamshire - thankfully it died down as kick off time approached and off to Watnall Road we went...

Met Brian Dennett inside the ground, and although "Mr. Evening Post" is still smarting from Carlton's defeat to Leek last week, he has been around the game long enough not to let it worry him for too long.

Third time in 8 days we have seen Clifton, and we will be watching them again on Sunday in the CML Cup Final.  The All Whites still have 4 more league games to go after this one - so we'll no doubt be seeing them again before the season closes.

AFC took the lead on 15 when EUGENE FRANCIS beat the Clifton offside trap and calmly rounded Joe Parlatt before stroking home.  The lead lasted until the 38th minute - Clifton skipper CRAIG ANDERSON hit a speculative shot at goal from 25 yards that the Hucknall keeper let slip through his grasp. H-T 1-1

The visitors went ahead for the first time in the game on 53 when MICHAEL EVANS raced through on goal before firing across the keeper into the far corner.  Two substitutes combined in the 66th minute to add to the All White's lead - Ryan Stark picking out CHRIS ATKINS who fired an arrow straight shot straight into the back of the net from 15 yards.

The home team reduced their arrears almost immediately - DANNY BLAIR finding time and space in the area before firing past Parlatt.  

Clifton were striving for a goal to give them a bit of breathing space, but AFC kept pressing and had a couple of decent attempts before the travellers sealed the game in the second minute of stoppage time.   The ball was played into the six yard box from the right, and BEN RICHARDSON was handily placed to tap home. F-T 2-4

Admission £3
Programme - didn't see one
H/C 50