Tuesday, 27 March 2012

Pinxton 4-2 Newark Tn (CML Cup)

Tuesday 27th March 2012 - CML Cup 1/4 final replay

Pinxton : Marriott 33, 80 Cooper 37 Bowler 47

Newark : Hillier 28 M Ellison 90

The first game ended 2-2, and the replay for a while at least, looked like it would be another close battle.  Newark outplayed their hosts for the first half hour or so, but as soon as Pinxton got their backsides into gear, there was only ever going to be one winner.

Spent the evening in the company of Rob Hornby, Richard Lane, Ricky Lane, Rob Townsend and Kev Guise. Our friend "Deadly Derek" was also present - his first visit to Wharfe Road in many years - apparently there were no fllodlights the last time he visited.

It was great to see Ricky Lane again - he's been away at Uni, but now has three weeks off for Easter....most of us mere mortals get 2 days!!!

Newark could have been one up after just 30seconds, but keeper Dave O'Hare made a tremendous save to deny Ben Ginnelly.  Pinxton had no answer to Newark's attacking style and O'Hare did well again on 18 to block Dominic Swinglers effort. 

Ian Hillier smacked a free kick against O'Hare's post in the 25th minute, and the visitors deservedly went ahead three minutes later, TOM MALLINSON nodding home from close range after O'Hare failed to deal with a long range shot in from the left.  The keeper should maybe have done better with his block, but the original shot was from a long way out and he could have hoped for more protection from his defenders. 

Going  a goal down saw Pinxton wake up, and they took the game by the scruff of it's neck and were level on 33,  GREG MARRIOTT firing home after the visiting defence failed to clear a corner.   JAY COOPER then hit one of the contenders for goal of the season some 4 mintes later, hammering a curling 25 yard drive wide of Newark keeper Gary Attwood and into the back of the net. Absolute belter - the ball never stopped moving away from Attwood who had no chance of saving it, no chance at all!  H-T 2-1

2 minutes into the second period, Sean Gregory blocked well as Attwood attempted to clear. The ball ran to the goal line, and Gregory chased it down before firing it across the goal to where CORY BOWLER was waiting to stab home.

The game then entered a quiet period - quiet except for the Newark bench, that is! Noisy lot - and although Ref Tim Walker had a good game, every decision was questioned and the young up and coming official must have wondered at times what some of the derision was for!!

Pinxton netted again on 80 - Josh Parker's quick throw in picked out Wayne Cooke who in turn fed GREG MARRIOTT and the youngster composed himself before slotting past Attwood. 

MARK ELLISON hammered home a superb 28 yard free kick on 90 to make the scoreline more respectable for the Nottinghamshire outfit, but it is Pinxton who go through to the semi-final - and they take on another CMLS team, Clifton FC.  F-T 4-2

Admission £2
Programme £1
Attendance  - no idea ...